Tuesday, August 5, 2008

An Issue of Optimism, God and Church

A blogger asked me early July if I considered myself an optimist my only response was, yes. The question was asked in response, to a blog I wrote about a conversation that I had earlier that day with my mom and sister about whether or not one should marry in the church.
The best way I can respond to that comment is this:

God is a popular mother fucker! He gets all the credit for everything that's going great in your life. Unfortunately, he's also got the reputation for fucking things up whenever something goes wrong.

Oh my God! Why God why? Jesus Christ! Goddamn! Thank the Lord.


I wonder if he's even intervening? I've always just envisioned him as a dude, kicking it in the sky. Anyway, I don't think he's making people feel bad for not getting married in a church. He's probably got better things to do than that. A church does not make a marriage. God does not make a marriage. Two people who want to hang out for life, do.

I'm optimistic about people making it work without the help of God and church.

The best thing you can ask for in a relationship is fun, freedom and having that person make you feel good about yourself. If God helps, thank him, but if he doesn't, well at least you've always got someone to blame for things going wrong in your life.

But who knows? I've never been married before, so what do I know? Amen.

No comments: