Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Who am I?

Okay, so after much deliberation and financial convincing, I went ahead and bought them.

Barefoot Sports Shoes the Vibram Toe Shoes.
Now, I know what you all are thinking: How very granola of me? And you'd would be right. But I just couldn't resist them. My eagerness and fascination for them, took a hold of me and I, well felt compelled to just give in. For quite some time, I've known that my fascination with my new shoes was stemming from one very simple root: fitness.

I've been running. Yes, me. Hard to believe, but for a little while now (oh I'd say since October 10') I have built up enough stamina to run about 20 miles a week give or take. In fact, just recently my Facebook status read, "Feeling really un-motivated to run 4 miles today." My favorite comment below my status was Trey's. It read "Who are you?"

Indeed, this morning as I enjoyed the refreshment of a strawberry and banana smoothie reviewing the latest runner's and yoga magazines, between the advertisements for Acupuncturists and Holistic doctors, I did find myself asking that very same question: Who am I?

When did I become the person who preferred hiking to watching Keeping Up with the Kardashians? Perhaps, because my health changed? Or maybe, when I was alone for a year, I became comfortable enough without having cable, without having anyone to talk to, without my usual and creative outlets? I can't say for sure, but I like the feeling of a quiet meditation during the run and the calmness of my feet hitting the pavement foot by foot, saying the only words that give me comfort:

What you need to know about the past is that no matter what has happened, it has all worked together to bring you to this very moment. And this is the moment you can choose to make everything new. Right now.

It's my alone time.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

im so proud of you! i got super into thinking about those shoes when i was reading primal blueprint (which is funny since i wasn't even eating meat then) but im glad you bought what you wanted! tell me what the adjustment period is like to build your feet up into super loving them! - nme!

Unknown said...

thanks! well i had to adjust really quickly because i wore them to work three days in a row. little did I know, you're only suppose to start wearing them like, every other day in 2 hour increments. But after I gave them a rest for a day, they were fantastic! love you.