Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The important things.

"There are places I remember... of lovers and friends I still can recall, some are dead and some are living, in my life I've loved them all." Or so the song says.

Today, I read an email about a man I knew who had passed away. The article made me laugh, choke up and appreciate someone, who left an impression on everyone he knew, whether it was good or bad.

This was the part of the article that made me laugh:

He often created a sea of discontent, however, for the way he preached his messages: He salted the Good Word with "damn," "hell" and "bitch." Time magazine wrote about his once admonishing his parishioners for being "spiritual white trash who merely drop by church to fill up at God's gas pump."

And, this was a comment written shortly after the article was published that moved me:

My wife and I were married by Father Quinlan back in 1974. Yes, he was controversial, but he spoke candidly about his Christian faith, and although he was Catholic, stated that he was Christian first, Catholic second. As an Episcopalian, that spoke volumes, more than I can say for many Theologians today. I can also say that he spoke for the youth of the day, as many of my young Catholic friends admired him despite their rejection of the church as a whole. Rest In Peace, my friend.

Christian first, Catholic second. What a beautiful thing to say. There really isn't much of a mystery why Jesus and Buddha had it going on. They were caring, generous and compassionate men. 

I think merely as human beings we constantly forget that the important things in life, lie in the simplest of places. Sometimes these places lie in the memories of all whom you've touched. 

I respect all who are honest, vulgar and ready at a moment's notice to have a good time. So, raise a glass to a man who like Jesus and Buddha (in my opinion) had it going on. RIP T.Q. Gracais. 

BTW I never mentioned that this man was a priest, and a damn good one at that.
 


No comments: