Sunday, April 18, 2010

First Unitarian Church

First Unitarian Universalist Church in Richmond, VA., Abby and I went to lead a discussion of unintended pregnancy for the eighth and ninth graders in their OWL program.

(Our Whole Lives)
[OWL is a values-based curriculum that helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior. It equips participants with accurate, age-appropriate information in six subject areas: human development, relationships, personal skills, sexual behavior, sexual health, and society and culture. Grounded in a holistic view of sexuality, OWL provides not only facts about anatomy and human development, but helps participants to clarify their values, build interpersonal skills, and understand the spiritual, emotional, and social aspects of sexuality
.]

Surprisingly enough the young adults who attended, were absolutely fantastic! Most of these kids were so well informed that it was a bit challenging for us to even answer their questions. Is this my calling? I feel like I'm doing right for the first time in a while. Although, I would have rather discussed the prevention of unintended pregnancy, I'm glad i was there to provide them with insight into the world of Abortion, adoption and continuing a pregnancy. the funny thing about the discussion was that i never lied or with held my opinions about what i felt was right and not right. I couldn't tell if these young adults were so receptive to our conversation because they were smart or because their parents had educated them prior to studying sexuality in the church. How wonderful of a class and teachers they have to teach them that whatever they are doing is completely normal. I wish i could have had such an opportunity. Generally speaking the parish was very welcoming. I felt safe and accepted immediately! What a lovely morning indeed.

Off subject a bit, this particular church was right down the street from the dog park and dogwood dell. I've walked by it often but never thought to look in. how foolish was i to think that all churches were the same. i should have known better.

No comments: